Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Another day...

Inspiration has gone AWOL this morning. Hump day has arrived, and with it 5 and a half hours of meetings. That's a big hump! Can't say I'm looking forward to it, but I'm sure I'll claw back some time along the way.

Thinking about life choices at the moment. Where do I want to be in 1, 2, 3 years time? What's the next step. I always thought a technical person would be a good manager. I've had those who don't understand what I'm saying and that's useless. However, maybe it's not as clear cut. Engineers, technical people are used to building systems. We define every aspect of them. We know everything about them. We revel in the details, the control. I'm slowly realising that managers have no control. Power, and decision making is not control.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a detail man. Organised, and in control. The question is, can I learn to relinquish that control? To stop being the engineer and become the manager. I hope so, and I'm beginning to formulate a way of doing it. Only question remains, is it what I want to do? Does it lead to somewhere I want to be?

Only time will tell.

------------------

No comments:

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...