Thursday, May 29, 2008

An evening

I travel home by 2 tubes, 2 trains, and a car, arriving back home at 18:30. In the house there are kisses for my wife and daughter, and a quick catch up on a day in the life of a 16 month year old, then it's upstairs to get changed.

Once changed, I log onto the computer; however, almost as soon as I hit return to complete the logon I'm asked to run the bath. Off to the bathroom it is, hot tap fully on, cold half way, bath thermometer placed in tub. Then back quickly to the computer to enter a couple more passwords and get the system ready for action. No time to do anything though as it's back to the bath to turn the taps off.

Little one is now upstairs, and I take over. Undressing and disposing the nappy (thankfully empty) is first, then a carry through to the bathroom. We like a little wiggle at this point, being held upright and tilted from side to side before being plonked in the bath.

Bathtime itself is a fun affair! Splashes and giggles, penguins and boats. We always finish with some Johnson's bedtime bath, a quick tidy up, plug removal, and a scoop up into the air. "Kicky kickys" are followed by a wrap in a nice big, warm towel, and a carry through to the nursery for some cuddles.

As soon as I sit down, the hand is extricated from the towel and the middle 2 fingers placed in my daughters mouth, she then tilts over and snuggles into my shoulder. I give her a combination of cuddles and toweling until she's dry, then just some cuddles. At some point she'll sit up, look at me, and then give me a kiss. We'll then play a game of pointing at the things Daddy says, "Daddy's nose", "Daddy's eyebrow". We also play "cutie pie", if I say those words she'll give my cheek a wobble, and I'll do the same to her in return.

Eventually she's had enough of all that so I take her over to the changing table. First things first, nappy! A liberal dosing of sudacrem, and then a nappy; followed quickly by a pair of pyjama bottoms so she doesn't take the nappy off. Next up is moisturiser, so I sit her up and apply E45 or Oilatum to her back and belly, and then her face. The cream soaks in very quickly, so this is followed by her pyjama top before she's transferred to the cot.

Once she's stood up and settled I go and get the toothbrush ready before lifting her back out, sitting down with her on my knee, moving one arm down and to the side of me, and taking hold of the other hand. Teeth cleaning can now commence. I'll spare you the details. Little one is transferred to the cot, and Mummy called.

Mummy makes herself comfortable and prepares for feeding, the duvet is placed on her knee, and then baby is placed on duvet and snuggles up. I tidy up anything that needs sorting, put on some jungle sounds, kiss baba goodnight, and make a quiet exit.

I get 5 to 10 minutes of computer time, a quick check of mail, facebook, and a website that wouldn't open on the blackberry. It's then back to the nursery to lift up babe, make sure Mummy gets a kiss on the nose, and then into the cot. Blankets are placed, 'Bear bear' is handed to the awaiting owner, then there is a quiet exit.

My wife and I finally say hello, then I get ready to go out for a run. As I'm about to leave, there are murmurings from the nursery; nothing loud yet, but definitely there. I head out.

20 minutes later I'm back, and baba is sitting on Mummy's knee in the nursery. I head up, strip off my running gear, and before my shower get some "white sauce" (rice milk, but don't use the 'm' word), water, and margerined bread. A quick shower later I'm wrapped in a towel and cuddling babe to allow Mummy to escape. Baba is then re-placed in the cot, jungle noises restarted, and lots of re-assurance given before I leave.

A couple of minutes later I'm downstairs in a towelling robe, and we're discussing dinner. A couple of minutes later, I'm left with instructions to peel and boil some marrow (5 minutes, no more), and my wife is back up giving some cuddles.

I sort out the marrow and watch the last 5 minutes of Furturerama before taking it off the boil and draining it. I tidy up the kitchen, and then all the toys lying around in the lounge before sitting down and flicking through the TV channels.

Presently my wife arrives. Apparently, you hollow out marrow *before* boiling it. You live and learn. No harm though, the marrow is still hollowable, so I sort that out, pack them with mince, and put them in the oven.

20 minutes later (at about 10 pm) it's dinner time. We compliment dinner with some 'Doctor Who'. 28 minutes in (Sky plus tells you this when you pause, I'm not actually sad enough to make note of the exact running time) there's a cry from above. Off goes Mummy, I tidy up.

Washing up done, dishwasher on, benches wiped, I've just sat down again when I'm rejoined by my wife. We watch the end of 'Doctor Who', get a glass of water, turn out all the lights (and the TV), lock up, and head upstairs. The computer is shut down, we both get ready for bed, I pop into the nursery to ensure my daughter is still covered and comfortable, then we finally flop into bed, say good night, and go to sleep.

We're woken at 03:49 so I can go and give another cuddle (bad dream, doesn't take long for breathing to slow and I can put her back in the cot), before crashing until the 06:23 alarm rudely wakes me again.


------------------

5 comments:

Al said...

wtf, duvee?!
Is that pronounced dove-eeeee?

Steve said...

You try writing that much on a blackberry without a spell checker, and let's see how well you do!

Al said...

I refer to article a of my evidence
'Nuff said

Steve said...

Nope, you've lost me, I don't see what you're getting at.

Al said...

I now declare that the witness has tampered with evidence. Unfortunately, for the witness, 'google cache' has saved/cached at least TWO of the documents in question before they were doctored. These can be found here
With this evidence in hand I submit to the court that all occurrences of the word duvet, as found here were, in fact, originally typed as "duvee" and make everything much funnier by at least 20%

:P

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...