Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Trains

In the course of my daily commute I use 8 trains. 4 above ground, 4 below. Yesterday, 5 of them ran slow (left on time, arrived late) and 1 was cancelled completely (thankfully the other company that uses the line decided to stop at my station, so I was only delayed 22 minutes).

In a seperate post by a friend of mine in Japan at the minute, he describes trains there as leaving on time, and arriving on time. To the minute. As the norm. If you have only 12 minutes to interchange after a 2 hour journey, you don't worry. You will have 12 minutes. Simple. Can't see anyone planning a journey that way here. (Or if they do, I can't see it working out that way!)

Why can't we do things right in this country. The news is predicting (usual FUD probably) that oil *could* hit $250 a barrel in 18 months. This won't double the price at the pump, but it'll have a significant impact. More people will start to question car ownership, and car journeys. Given that our public transport infrastructure is already over capacity, and has been woefully underfunded for many years, what do "they" expect to happen. (They in this case is anyone who could be doing something about this. Government, rail bosses, network rail.)

At present, I can only guarantee a seat for myself on the 2 short overground trips I make. These journeys are 9 minutes, so I don't usually bother. I can sometimes get a seat on the short underground trip in the morning. This journey is 4 minutes, I don't bother. On all 4 of my longer journeys (around 25 to 30 minutes each) I have no expectations of a seat at all. Getting one on the tube is sheer luck. I won't get one on the train. Neither will dozens of others. These trains are already over capacity. The usual notice in the morning is, "This train is reported full and standing."

In related news, my feet are killing me. They really hurt at the moment. Time for more action around my insoles and supports I think.

Something a bit lighter tomorrow I think. Any suggestions?

------------------

No comments:

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...