Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What do I do?

For years the answer I've given to the question "What do you do for a living?" Has been "I design computer systems."

This answer has served me well. "I work in I.T." was too vague and left me open to all sorts of support type questions. "I'm a technical architect" would be met with blank stares.

Obviously most people probably thought I worked out where all the bits went inside a computer, but, in my mind, the answer cover n-teir architecture, AD/LDAP design, message queuing, load balancing, cluster design, and all the other stuff I did.

Now, however, I'm a bit stuck. Most people haven't got the fogiest idea what 'Capacity Management' is; and, while I do get involved in database design, I wouldn't list it as a primary function of my job.

"I'm an Associate Director", or "I'm a head of department" don't really give people any information.

I could go to the functional, "I ensure that the companies computers are utilised as well as they can", or, "I'm in charge of measuring and increasing the utilisation of the companies computers." However, this doesn't really work for me as there is so much more to it.

"I'm in charge of the team looking after all the operational data in the company, and ..." It gets a bit waffly after that.

So, what do I do? I'm in charge of a operational database tracking all the companies assets and how they are attributed to the various parts of the organisation. I'm in charge of the current and historic reporting on the data. I run the capacity management systems within the company, and report on the utilisation of all the systems. I drive initiatives to increase the utilisation in line with company and industry targets. I am also the 'service owner' for the performance management tool we use, and am the person responsible for prioritising the development of the tool, and steering it's technical direction.

Now, can anyone put all that into a layman friendly sentence?

------------------

No comments:

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...