Thursday, May 08, 2008

Aid to Burma

There is obviously a large amount of news at the moment about Burma, and the aftermath of the cyclone. When there were reports of the tsunami on boxing day a couple of years ago I didn't think twice about giving some money. When it comes to Burma, I'm pausing.

It's not that I don't think they need it, nor that I'm hard hearted; it's down to the fact that I'm not sure they'll get it.

Burma is ruled by a military junta, a corrupt and self-serving regime who have, so far, denied access to all western aid organisations. The call, so far, is, "Send us money, and we'll make sure it goes to the right place." Now, call my cynical, but that doesn't fill me with confidence. The military junta have already shown, in recent, and not so recent, history, that they prefer a contolled population over a happy one. They have also been known not to invest in the people, and to divert public funds for their own purposes.

So, the moral and right thing to do is help, but if you can't be sure (I realise you can never be *sure* your money is going to the right place, but in this instance, I believe it is more likely not to) that your donation will be used to help people, what should you do?

------------------

No comments:

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...