Wednesday, January 19, 2011

CalorieLab's take on the Dukan diet

Checking out my feeds this morning I came across a well written article on the Dukan diet by Marissa Brassfield on the CalorieLab website. I thought the article well written, but had a couple of points I thought I'd raise in the comments. I went to the website itself, moved to the bottom of the article, and left the following:

Hi Marissa, 
 
An interesting read, and a good 'take' on the Dukan diet. I, personally, followed the diet for several months and lost 4 stone in weight; but that's me.
My weight loss does bring me to my point though; I don't think the diet was for you! The Dukan diet (as stated by Mr Dukan himself) is really aimed at obese people. My weight when I started the diet was 14 st 8 lb. I'm 5' 6.5''. I was obese! (Just!) The diet worked great for me. I'm now (today) 10 st 10, have a much better diet plan, a healthy exercise plan, and I've got rid of all the 'nasties' that add on the weight. I'm currently in the "consolidation" phase, and it's working well. 
 
However, why do I think it wasn't for you? You mention that you are doing daily runs burning 500 to 700 calories. That equates to a distance of 7-10 kms. No obese (or even heavily overweight) person can do that sort of exercise daily. This is the sort of exercise I can manage now! With an extra 20+ kilos of weight on my body I could barely run 4km at a slow pace.
If I've got the wrong end of the stick, sorry. But I do believe in the diet, several of my friends have followed it successfully, and there is a community of people I follow on twitter that are having similar success (as long as they manage to stick to it!)
 
The point about boredom is well made though. I am lucky, I have the sort of mentality that can eat roast chicken (plain), and low fat yogurt daily for weeks on end, most people can't. This, more than anything, is the diet's failure. Of course, you can't really blame the diet for the boring taste of protein! However, anyone coming to this with a lot of weight to lose is going to be on the diet for some time, and the lack of interest should be a consideration for people up front.
 
Cheers,
 
Steve

Nothing contentious, no weblinks, no spam. I hit submit.

Sorry, but your comment has been flagged by the spam filter running on this blog: this might be an error, in which case all apologies. Your comment will be presented to the blog admin who will be able to restore it immediately.
You may want to contact the blog admin via e-mail to notify him

WTF!?

Anyway, didn't want to waste my effort completely, so thought I'd post it here instead 

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Hi Steve!

Thank you for reproducing your comment here. I'm not sure why your comment on CalorieLab was marked as spam, but I went through and restored it, so it should appear on the site now.

Congratulations on your success with the Dukan diet. I've recommended it to my parents, and think that the diet would be perfect for them, but I agree with your assessment that it just wasn't right for me.

I have been an athlete my whole life, but I've gained about 1 st over the past 10 years (that's the weight I was looking to get rid of). For me, amping up my workouts and being a little more mindful of what I'm eating and drinking will probably be enough. In my prior "Diet Diary" entries, I discussed how I had relatively little to lose compared with others who might try the Dukan diet.

I really appreciate your feedback, and wish you the best of luck in continued success. Health and wellness is an ongoing journey -- keep fighting the good fight!

Cheers,
Marissa Brassfield

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...