Monday, July 04, 2011

Blogging for I have found my voice!

It's been a while! (Feb 24th fact fans), but I haven't had a lot to say. The diet thing was done, the daily minutiae is on twitter, and the longform post was becoming stale. Time, I figured, to take a break.

Now, things are happening. The diet is bust (This morning on the scales: 12 st 4.3 lb), I have a new interest, and I have been feeling the need to write.

So, where did it all go wrong? Back on March the 16th I weighed 11:3.1. OK, but still an increase from 10:13 in November. To be honest, a 4 lb creep over Xmas, New Year, my daughter's birthday, and my birthday isn't bad! However, the gradual increase from there isn't OK. Once the idea of eating what you like takes hold, the slow increase is easily waved aside. The thought that I'll be good tomorrow is an easy one. Tomorrow never comes!

Be the end of April I was at the top end of 11 st, and the end of June saw me tick over into 12 st, and now 12 st 4.3 lb. Well, enough is enough. My new clothes are getting tight, my new suit is getting *very* tight, I'm not happy with my shape, and something has to give. Seems that's the way it goes. Slow steady increases get ignored, but one day the tipping point is reached, something snaps, and good intentions become good reality.

So that's it. A week of protein awaits, sugar free yogurts will once again be eaten. The sugary snacks, and high carb dishes are gone. Banished. Never to return (yeah, right). Let a downward trending graph be my reward!

As for my new interest, I have started running "barefoot". OK, not really; I am using a barefoot style running shoe called the Vivobarefoot Evo II which has a 4mm sole, and no padding or support. It's great! Much more to follow in a dedicated post, but it's made me run properly again;I can feel what I'm doing, I'm aware of my body, I'm aware of my exercise level.

That's it for now (don't want to burn out on day 1!), I have some other things to write about over the next few weeks / months, but needed to start somewhere. For now, I'm back...

3 comments:

Matthew said...

How did you fall off the wagon?? Was it a conscious decision to stop your diet?

I've managed to keep all the weight I've lost off, but I wouldn't mind learning what to look out for, just in case!

Steve said...

What went wrong? A number of small insignificant slips really. I finished the diet and we went to Cologne for a long weekend at the Xmas markets. Foody heaven! Then we had the run up to Xmas, Xmas itself, New Year, my daughter's birthday, my birthday, our wedding anniversary. All of these little things, but they had practically *no* effect.

So the guard goes down, it doesn't matter. You keep going, and it gets worse, but the scales only creep up slowly, so there isn't an immediate consequence.

Suddenly it does all catch up, then bang, your weight is rising, but your back into a bad pattern, and you start telling yourself that you'll start Monday. Never happens, by lunch the headaches start, and you slip back. Maybe tomorrow. etc.

It was only when I couldn't do the button on my expensive suit that things really took grasp. I don't want to retreat to my old suit. That's a failure! Time to take action...

Matthew said...

Well it is great you are back on track. Any diet has to be a permanent lifestyle change to be effective. Hate it when people say "I went on a diet, lost X kgs, then put it all back on when I stopped, why??" - of course you put it back on if you stop! Honestly people!

For me things couldn't be going better. Lost over 20kg now and the weight is staying off, even with the 2 naughty days a week :)

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...