Thursday, November 25, 2010

My 6 monthly health appraisal, and why the weight loss phase of the diet is now officially finished

...or how I was defined as a lean, mean, weight-losing machine!

So I had my 6 month health appraisal at the gym today. 6 Months ago I was borderline obese, unfit, unhealthy, and fairly sedentary.

Today, I'm a bit better! I haven't got the results from last time, but here are some highlights from today:

Blood pressure: 135 / 68
BMI (Which is a waste of time, see below): 24.5
Waist to Hip ratio: 0.86 (0.90 or below is the expected norm for a male)
Aerobic Fitness Predictive VO2: 50ml/kg/min (Good apparently)
Total Body fat: 10.2% (Average for a male my age is 13 - 19%) I'm classed as "Very Lean" (downside, I'll get physically cold easier)
Fat Weight: 7.1Kgs (Average 10-14Kgs)
Lean Weight: 62.3Kgs (Average 61-65Kgs) (i.e. perfect :-) )
Total Weight: 69.4Kgs (Average 72-77Kgs)
Water: 67.1% (Average 55-65%) (I'm well hydrated) (Stop worrying honey :-) )
Total Body Water: 46.6L (Average 38-45L)

So there it is, I'm slightly under weight for the average (although I'm not "underweight"), with an excellent ratio of fat/lean/water.

All this shows, once again, how useless BMI is as an indicator. If I was to get my BMI to 21 (The centre of "Normal") I'd be massively underweight with almost no body fat, and probably de-hydrated!

The diet officially ended last Friday. I haven't put on, or lost any weight since then (I haven't tried), but today has shown me that it really is over. My body is now where it wants to be, any further loss would start to impact my physical being in ways that would be detrimental.

It's now all about watching what I eat, not letting things get out of control, and keeping on top of my general fitness. I'll update this blog from time to time to let you know how I'm doing, and of course you can follow me on Twitter to get an idea of what I'm up to.

The Dukan diet has, so far, been great for me. The results are fantastic, I'm a new man!

No comments:

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...