Friday, September 04, 2009

For my bro (and anyone else who has an android phone)

So, my bro has finally got himself and Android phone (the Samsung Galaxy no less). So I thought I'd list out the Android apps I use the most.

I know I've done something similar before, but that was to list everything on the phone, and whilst that list has changed since the post this is more a list of useful stuff. The rest he can find out by experimentation like the rest of us.

Primary app to get is ChompSMS which, when combined with SMS Popup gives a far superior experience to SMS messages (remember to disable the phone apps notifications)

Once you have that sorted, Newsrob is free, and by far the best RSS reader. Full offline support, background syncing of feeds (automatically, not manual like most of them) and it syncs with google reader, so changes there are reflected on the phone and vice-versa.

Notification wise I like Battery Status and WeatherBug. Strangely they do exactly what you think they'll do!

Social media wise, twidroid (or Twidroid pro) for twitter and Bloo for facebook

Media has to be tunewiki (enable last.fm and twitter support) and the official last.fm app is great for streaming music.

If you're in London then the iTubeStatus app is still the easiest to use, but I also have London City installed for the map and the journey planner

HulloMail is a must have for visual voicemail and to allow you to keep voicemails in your mail as mp3s.

AK Notepad is still the best app I've found for jotting down notes. Import and export from/to text files allows transfer of notes easily.

Night Clock is great when you're away, but it does make the screen a little brighter than I'd like.

Video Player is a small, must have app for simply playing vids (supports the same format is iphone videos, just without the DRM)

And that's it really. Those are the apps that get used regularly. Shazam, Pkt Auctions for eBay, etc all have their uses, but not regularly. Games you're on your own, you know what you like.

I will pass on this site: http://www.cyrket.com/ It makes browsing the market much easier.

I also follow the feed from http://www.androidtapp.com/ which has brought up a few interesting apps in the past.

Questions / comments? You know where to put them!

1 comment:

dgoemans said...

i've started using:
Twidget Lite instead of Twidroid, which has come a long way since my first usage.
HTC's Work mail for my.. work mail :P
And PixelPipe for image uploading, cause i can batch upload with this, whereas all others require share to upload one by one.

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...