Wednesday, April 01, 2009

G20 - There's been a mhurdurr

G20, the postcode for Taggert. It's all an April Fool. Gordons final joke. Get all the world leaders together, depict it as the final chance, and then, just as we're all beginning to think we might make it, they come out, tell us we're stuffed, and leave us to rot.

From a grandstanding point of view, the G20 is fantastic. It's also a waste of time. We may have a global problem, but the solution is anything but. If the US and China agree a way forward, the rest of us will be fine. It's the G2+18!

Then we have the protests. I've worked in an investment bank for nearly three years, and the number of times I've seen a millionaire banker can be counted on one hand. The number of times I've been face to face with one can be counted on one finger. Strangely, all our senior figures are in the US this week.

I'm not expecting any problems as the protest aren't planned for Canary Wharf, but if I do run into issues, or get delayed by problems, do you think they'll care that most of the people they are inconveniencing are standard office workers. Ordinary people like me. No, they probably won't. It's more important to make your point, and go for the big picture rather than worry about the details.

------

Running very late this morning, but I was working very late last night. And the night before. Hopefully things will settle down after this week. Two 4 days weeks, and a long weekend in the middle should make everyone a bit more mellow. I've got a stag do to look forward to, so that will help too.

Well, we're approaching London Bridge. Technically the only place I could get held up today. No sign of problems yet though. Work is a few minutes away, and the relative safety of my desk.

No comments:

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...