Thursday, March 05, 2009

Blogging birthday

On the 5th of March last year I started blogging properly. The blog itself dates back to the 8th of March 2006, but wasn't used properly until last year.



At first (some would say still) I didn't know what I was going to write about. Didn't know if I could keep it going. My normal routine at the time was to read RSS feeds, and the free newspaper until work arrived. Pushing blogging in there got rid of the free newspaper, and delayed some of the RSS feeds to the evening. Still, I thought it was worth it.



I now get an average of 8 hits per day on the site (no idea on RSS, it's not trackable), and get around 30 unique visitors a month (most in error!) But it's not about the numbers. I don't write this to get huge amounts of people to come along. If I did there would be more posts like the R.E.M. Set list. A post that had 160 page views a day at one point.



No, I write this as a journal of life. It's always relevant to what is going on in my mind at the time of writing, and is interesting, for me, to go back through and see what I was thinking.



Posts like "The Daddy drive" won't come around again, I can't see there being a need for that, but it's now recorded and available along with all the posts on my changing life. Yes, there are a huge amount of posts about travelling, but as I spend over 3 hours a day doing it that's not surprising. Even some of those are interesting. There are also the occasional technical posts. These are definitely written mainly for me. I find something out, it fixes an issue, but I know I won't use it again for a while. If I don't write it down, or keep doing it, it'll be forgotten. I'll have a vague memory which will send me off on a search for something I already know. Now, I know where it is. I search one site, and that's it.



So, what can the next year bring? More of the same probably. When I get my phone back, and continue the process of tying myself more and more to the internet that's bound to have an effect. I'm still very new at the idea of posting photos. And I know there are other things out there that I haven't tried yet at all. In line videos, live blogging. Will I? Maybe.



Anyway, thanks for sticking around, reading my mutterings. Onwards into the second year...

No comments:

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...