Tuesday, July 08, 2008

On being wonderful

The, so far, untold story of Friday night (scroll down for a recap on stupidity) is the wonderfulness of my wife.

To start with she was having a hell of a day with our little bundle of joy, but declined my offer to come home, and said I should go out, she'd be fine.

A couple of text messages through the evening indicated things hadn't got much better, but that my darling daughter did go to sleep once she finally got there.

The first time I spoke to her was just after 11 to appraise her of my travel plans. She was only concerned for me, wondering if I'd make a connection, worried about me doing something daft (like walking home from the station), offering to bundle little one into the car and come and meet me. I re-assured her I would be fine, the train may let me make my connection, and no matter which station I ended up at I'd get a cab home.

She rang me as I got on the train, again worried about my well-being. We discussed contingency plans. Again she offered to come and get me. Those without kids won't quite understand the magnitude of this offer. To willingly put yourself through waking the babe is a generous offer indeed. Satisfied that I wasn't going to try walking 5 miles or anything equally silly we rang off again.

The next time she rung me was after midnight. It was during this call that I had the dawning realisation that things weren't going to plan. I should have been home by now, not still on a train. There were no recriminations, just a calm, worried concern for myself.

I rang her back after consulting my GPS to confirm the bad news. Still no anger. In fact, she was finding it quite amusing; in a worried, concerned sort of way.

We spoke again outside the station. My wife had de-camped bed and moved to the computer from where she was looking for options for me. Luckily for me, I found a hotel quick enough, and left her as I rang the night bell.

We spoke again once I got to my room. She'd found me a couple of other nearby options in case this one hadn't worked out. However, now assured I was safe and well, we said goodnight and put the phones down.

I probably got more sleep than my wife as I immediately dropped off into my usual, earthquakes wouldn't wake me, state, whilst she was wide awake and worried about me.

Getting home the next day, there was no hostility; even when I revealed I had a hangover. Throughout the was just loveliness and concern. And something to take the piss out of for many years to come!

My wife's wonderful. I love her very much.


------------------

1 comment:

Laws said...

I like this post. I can deal with being "wonderful"!
Must be 'cos I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful hubby :)

Besides, it gave me an opportunity to add to my anecdote bank, ready to wheel 'em out when we hit middle age, m'dear :p

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...