Thursday, June 26, 2008

On life outside work

I was talking the other day to someone I work with and mentioned that I would love to run a windsurfing school during the day, and a bar by night. Putting aside the logistics of the fantasy for now, the question she asked was, "You windsurf?" It struck me that some people don't know me, even though they know me!

So, yes, I windsurf. (Bloggers note: when I say I do these things, they are on hold whilst my daughter gets a bit older. In my mind I still do them, and the fact that I haven't actually practiced any of them in over 3 years is irrelevant.) I own a short(ish) 285, and enjoy nothing more than hooking in, and shooting across the water.

I also kayak. I have a BCU 4 star, used to teach, and got to division 3 in the british white water slalom league. Of the 2, I most enjoy windsurfing, but the sheer frightening joy of shooting over a grade 4 rapid and living takes some beating!

On dry land I mountaineer. I have climbed Kilimanjaro, numerous alps, walked the haute route from Chamonix to Zermett, climed in south and north America, and walked the highest 14 mountains in Wales, and the highest 100 (except Pillar rock) in the Lakes.

I also climb, and am comfortable leading VS outdoors, and 5C, E1 indoors (6A, HVS is also OK) (I know most of you won't know what that means, suffice to say it's not the hardest, but it's not that easy!)

In my spare time (!) I play guitar and keyboards (not at the same time), and have played numerous times live with the accompanyment of some fantastic female singers.

Finally I enjoy a large range of computer games, and watching movies from an extensive selection.

At various times I have run (4 half marathons so far, and an off road tri-athlon), and mountain biked; however, I think these come more under exercise than hobbies!

So there you go, genius computer geek, and outdoor sports freak all in one!

------------------

No comments:

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...