Monday, May 19, 2008

Slow running - a metaphor?

Line side equipment failure caused our train to switch to the relief line where we were stuck behind 2 stopping services. There we were a fast train, built for 100+ mph running through stations at crawling speed.

Is this a reflection of my life? A fast track system shunted into the slow lane, stuck behind those who dither and stop?

Probably not.

My poor, long suffering wife has to endure me tossing, turning, twitching, squeaking and snoring at night. She invariably drags herself off to the guest room to get some kip, but this causes problems of its own. The room doesn't get very dark, and by 05:30 is often too bright to sleep.

I do what I can. I slept in the guest room Friday and Saturday nights, and had the yawns to prove it. However, during the week I need the shower room, so waking is inevitable (however, thinking about it now, that's no different to us sharing a room).

All of this addresses the symptoms however, not the cause. Essentially, I've grown a gut, turned into a slob, and got myself a stressful life.

Self help books say that identifying and recognising a problem is the biggest part of solving said problem. Good, job done!

So, what can I really do? Well, this weekend I only had one can of coke per day. So far today (because so much has passed!) I haven't had any. The plan is to not have any all day, nor tomorrow, etc. Gut solved. Everything else eaten is fairly balanced, the occasional choccy bar goes hand in hand with the coke, so stop one, you stop both.

Next step is exercise. I used to run. Now I pro-nate, have bad knees, and get out of breath running upstairs. Solve the gut, solve some of these other problems. I have the shoes for the pro-nateing, I have the support for the knee. Out of breath is just out of shape, hard work fixes that. That's the easy bit!

Now to find the time. Do I get up earlier (current alarm is 06:23)? Not without going to bed much earlier! Can I fit it in in the evening? Maybe. That's what I think needs to be done. If I get home, change into running kit whilst running the bath, bathe my daughter, cuddles and drying, nappy, dressed, teeth cleaned, hand off and out it might work. If I hand off earlier in the process it might work better. Worries here are down to tea time for my daughter being over early enough to ensure bath time at an early hour. Also, preperation and cooking time for dinner needs to be factored in.

I don't know how it'll work until we start I guess. Only thing I can guarantee is that something needs to change. Stay tuned and I'm bound to update.

------------------

2 comments:

Kate said...

Hope you survived your first Ribena Light extravanganza. I'd rather you snored all night and drank Coca Cola all day than listening to your whining about withdrawals. You're taking this investment banking coke-habit thing a bit far.

Laws said...

Nooooo, Kate you don't understand; I really am long-suffering when it comes to these two and their sleep habits! I don't have any bad sleep habits for my part. I don't get a flippin' chance!

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...