Thursday, April 17, 2008

Portishead

A place towards the end of the M4 (possibly). Also, one of the best bands around.

I 'discovered' Portishead, like most people my age, at uni. 'Dummy' was one of the soundtrack albums to my year in dorm, and a constant companion thereafter. Listening to 'Roads' at high volume after I dislocated my shoulder and ruined the summer of canoeing and windsurfing I had planned is probably partly responsible for making me who I am today! The album still sounds fresh today, and even after all this time, and more listens than I can recall, there are no tracks that get skipped.

The second album came along, the first track a huge dissonant noise, the rest an assault on all the senses. Poinant lyrics set against looped samples and distorted guitars. It was fantastic. It's never had as many listens as 'Dummy', but it is a staple of my collection.

It was followed by the live album. A fantastic collection of there 'best' songs delivered with a huge string section, and a lot of effort put into the production. If you haven't heard any Portishead, this is probably the place to start. The only annoyance is the audience starting to cheer before 'Roads' is finished, interupting a clearly heart felt song with their applause.

Then, nothing. For years.

Now, the third album is due (named 'Third'). Finally. It says something about Portishead that even after all these years, and my dwindling interest in music in general, this can still get me excited.

I have managed to get an advance copy of the album, and have nearly finished the first listen. I won't, however, offer an opinion at this point. One listen, on a crowded train, does not do it justice. I can say that I have heard enough to look forward to the next time I have a free evening, when I can turn the volume up, get a glass of wine, and lose myself once again in Portishead.

------------------

No comments:

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...