Friday, April 18, 2008

Another week ...

Here's a ponder; waiting for the train in the morning, 2 arrive pretty much together. For some reason the station announces the later train first. Everyone who has read the depatures board is waiting for the earlier train. When the late train is announced the early train is visible, and about to start moving down the platform (as is the late train). Even though people can see the train, they move platform. Why? There is no delay. Neither train is packed (although you'll get a seat on neither). Both trains will arrive on the platform at the same time, and chances are the earlier train will leave first.

Ok, so today is interesting so far... It's not yet 8 and I've already spent over £4000! Such is the cost of commuting for a year. The marks another point in my conversion to permanent. I have never bought a long term ticket as a contractor because you can never guarantee your employment for the life of the ticket. Going permanent hopefully offers a bit more security. Also, my company offers you a loan for the cost of travel repayed from your salary over 12 months before tax is calculated. So at least the money is tax free. Now all I have to hope is that my paperwork gets processed properly, and the loan arrives early next week!

In other news, we bought an olive tree last weekend, and it arrived yesterday. It looks good sat on the patio, and will look even better once I've re-potted it this weekend. After a pause around Easter and beyond, our internal painting has restarted and entered the final stage. Almost everything is primed, undercoat and gloss to follow. Then carpets and flooring. Then we're done! All that remains is the planting in the garden.

Sleep continues to be patchy. Managed about 6 hours last night, not enough really. We need to work on getting little one to bed earlier so we can do the same. Easier said than done of course. Bed time is set by nap time which is set by meal times which are set by my daughter! We have very little say in the matter!

Techie thing. Why is my linux box capable of playing a movie out of the box while my windows machine requires me to faff around downloading codecs and apps, (blindly as it gave me no clue as to what I needed) and re-booting before it will finally play (with an average cpu load of 70%!) All those who ask when linux will be ready for the desktop; I ask, when will windows! It's not even a new format of video either, the codec I finally got to work was released in 2004. Surely windows media player 11 could have had it built in.

Oh well, I digress. The tube whips me ever nearer to work, and the end of another week. Here's to a good weekend.

------------------

No comments:

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...