Thursday, April 24, 2008

Not urgent

I'm tired. For a change. For some reason it feels like Friday too, so tomorrow will be a disappointment!

Today, however, my tiredness is due to more than the usual reasons. Although they still apply too. Todays tiredness stems from working until 20:40 last night.

I left work late yesterday as things had overrun a little, but I'd had a good day. A number of things I had been trying to get done were released, and I was feeling ok. When I finally exited the tube, my phone had 6 e-mails, 2 missed calls, and a voicemail. I settled myself onto the train and started to listen to the voicemail.

Half way through the voicemail the call was interrupted by an incoming call. So I dropped one call and answered the other. What everyone was trying to tell me was that one of my systems, that feeds a number of other systems, may have lost some data. As a result, all those downstream systems may have lost their data.

I then spent the rest of my journey home writing mails and taking phonecalls trying to trace down what could have happened. Speculation was rife. Imagined scenarios getting more dire with each new iteration.

Finally I got home. I remotely connected to work, and started to look through the system whilst responding to more e-mails as they came in. It should be noted that I didn't build the system, and don't know that much about its internal workings. However, after a while I sent a note off saying I couldn't see the problem, we'd have to wait for a developer in the morning, I also couldn't see evidence of the problem, and was there anything else anyone wanted me to do.

The reply came back: tomorrow will be fine, thanks for your efforts. By the way, this isn't urgent. !!!

------------------

No comments:

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...