Wednesday, August 20, 2008

On old, closed technology

I have spent the last couple of months trying to get the photos off my wife's old phone. The Samsung heap she used to have used a proprietary interface that they seemed to take malicious pleasue in changing all the time so you couldn't use accessories from one phone to another.

The software they forced you to use had some badly written, buggy usb drivers that refused to recognose the phone, and a completely unhelpful UI that re-wrote, badly, the standard diagnostic tools.

In the end I had to put my sim card in the phone and e-mail all the photos to myself. Now I ave to go through each mail, select and download the photos, and collate them before I can do something sensible with them.

What, exactly, were they thinking when they decided to ignore the well defined, standard usb interface, and a normal file system that could be recognised by a normal OS in favour of the borked waste of space they force you to use?

Note for anyone looking it up, the default passcode on a Samsung E770 is 00000000.

------------------

No comments:

Top Tracks of 2012

Well, it's that time of year. Once again I can abuse my html knowledge and shove a few YouTube videos into a blog post to illustrate wha...